13 Dec 2012

On plans and planning - and the difficulty in sticking to them

It has struck me on more than one occasion that my fascination and need of plans is at times bordering on the absurd. Especially when one considers how challenging I seem to find it to stick to the plans and go through with them.

I guess it is the inherent need in me for structured conditions so I know where I stand rather than float around in the air wherever the wind takes me which collides with my rebellious and anti-authoritarian streak, which refuses to let me be tied down to Rules and Regulations and Norms and This Is The Way To Do This (even if it is myself who has so decreed).

And then there's the whole matter of making realistic plans. As in: plans which are actually achievable by real, ordinary people restricted by real, ordinary limitations such as Time At One's Disposal and Time Required To Do This Job. Which are some of the limitations I most frequently run straight into.

I seem to be getting better at it - but it seems like it's more on the scale of only putting down some 50-100 % more than is feasible, rather than the 200-300% more than is feasible of past years.

And then there is the whole issue of Planning Things To Death.

Should any Planning Experts out there who are reading this they are most welcome to share their secrets to Planning Succes. Meanwhile, I plan (ha ha) to keep trying to figure out where the balance between Too Much and Too Little lies. And to carry on laying plans because at least I can say I have tried to do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment